The City of Saskatoon retained Allnorth to provide RPAS survey data for snow management purposes. The purpose of the survey was to determine future volumes at snow storage facilities around the city based on data collected.
During project execution some challenges included changing federal regulations regarding RPAS operation. The Allnorth team was able to effectively mitigate these challenges by following all flight restrictions and regulations including obtaining Special Flight Operations Certificates, and Advanced Pilot Operation Certificates. Multiple RPAS surveys were completed throughout the winter season at the Civic Operations Centre (COC), Central Avenue, and Wanuskewin snow sites.
Recognizing the benefits of the RPAS surveys conducted for snow management, the City engaged the Allnorth team again during the summer season to monitor the City’s compost waste. Multiple RPAS surveys were completed throughout the summer at the East and West Compost Depots. RPAS surveys were also completed at the City’s Nicholson Yard and the Downtown City Works Yard.
Allnorth provided the following as part of the RPAS surveys:
- Imagery, stock pile identification and volumes at the snow and compost facilities
- 3D point clouds, containing complete topographic survey information on structures and infrastructure
- Quality reports on the entire survey
- Control networks were maintained to appropriate levels through out the project
- Engineering as-built drawings and CAD files of each site with pertinent site information
- Point cloud data and raster imagery or orthophotos of each survey
- Orthophotos provided in Google earth KMZ/KML formats
- RPAS Surveys