ALLNORTH AS PROJECT MANAGER AND OWNER’S REPRESENTATIVE
The Meadow Lake Tribal Council (MLTC) engaged Allnorth as Project Management / Owner’s Representative for the construction of a 6.6 MW (gross) power generation facility on their property adjacent to the NorSask Sawmill located near Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan. The Meadow Lake Bioenergy Centre (MLTC) would use waste wood, also known as biomass, as a fuel to generate electricity, which would ultimately be sold to SaskPower.
The project includes one Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) turbo generator, an electrostatic precipitator, a steam turbine generator, a condenser and a lumber drying kiln. The fuel handling system is comprised of grinders, conveyors, storage areas, and metering equipment. The remainder of the plant includes buildings and foundations for facilities for turbine, generator, electrical systems, and storage, among others.
The project is constructed on an operating sawmill site and careful coordination and planning with current mill operations is required to minimize production interruptions due to the new construction.
- Combines environmental improvement with thermal efficiency
- Using sawmill biomass residuals reduces air emissions by eliminating one of Canada’s last remaining beehive burners
- Project economics permitted the installation of a state-of-the-art lumber drying kiln using waste heat energy from the bioenergy plant, displacing fossil fuel
- Improved operations of Canada’s only 100% Indigenous-owned sawmill
- Indigenous-owned contractors and staff formed a large part of the construction team throughout all phases of the construction
- Directly improving the economic outcomes for the nine-member Indigenous communities comprising the Meadow Lake Tribal Council
- Significant funding provided by the Government of Canada via the Green Infrastructure Stream of the Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Bilateral Agreement under the “Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program”
- Project Management / Owner’s Representative
- Capital Cost Estimate
- Cost Control and Reporting
- Procurement and Contract Administration
- Construction Supervision
- Administration Support and Document Management
- Quality Control
- Start-up & Commissioning
- Maintenance Planning
Near Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan